How to Balance Kapha Dosha
Ayurvedic medicine, the more than 5,000 year old traditional healing system of India views all of life, including how our bodies work, through the qualities of the five elements and three doshas. Kapha dosha, made up of water and earth, governs structure, lubrication, growth, and fat in the body.
If you think about the qualities of water and earth, you will understand the qualities of kapha dosha — moist, cool, heavy, dense. When a particular dosha becomes excessive in the body and aggravates the bodily systems, that’s when you see signs of imbalance.
Signs of Excess Kapha
- Feeling heavy and lethargic
- Feeling unmotivated or depressed
- Sluggish digestion with a dull appetite
- Excess bodyweight
- Mucus congestion
According to Ayurveda, if a dosha is left in a state of accumulation and aggravation, disease will eventually show up in one form or another. This is why you want to pacify a dosha by adjusting your diet and lifestyle when you notice signs of excess.
Remember, there are individuals with a kapha-dominant constitution (mind-body type), and then there are those who may have a kapha-imbalance. An imbalance of excess kapha can affect any mind-body type.
- Wake up before sunrise
- Do a vigorous form of exercise such as brisk walking, running or dance fitness
- Do dry skin brushing before showering
- Stay active, take the stairs; walk instead of drive (when safe to do so)
- Avoid fats, wheat, dairy and sugar
- Eat light, well spiced foods with plenty of vegetables such as dark leafy greens
- Avoid raw vegetables and cold salads in the fall and winter
- Use spices in your cooking, such as black pepper, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon and paprika
Ready to Go Deeper?
Now that you have the highlights, go deeper by first taking this short questionnaire to get an idea of your Ayurvedic constitution. Next, consider getting a comprehensive Ayurvedic consultation and assessment.
While online dosha quizzes provide insight into your constitution and possible imbalances, receiving a complete assessment by a trained Ayurvedic practitioner can provide more clarity and deeper understanding that online quizzes cannot.
My consultations include customized food, lifestyle, herbal and other therapeutic recommendations along with education and coaching to help you overcome obstacles that get in the way of achieving your best health.
I'm Tesia. Clinical Ayurveda Specialist and Integrative Health Coach providing inspiration and practical know-how for busy people who want optimal health and more joy, daily.
Start with my Top 10 Tips for Optimal Health & Radiant Natural Beauty